Re: Aptitude, sort by package state?

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 07:07:59AM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> After years of updates, package installations and removals, browsing
> through the Not Installed section of Aptitude reveals a number of
> packages with a status of 'c' which means a package was simply removed,
> but its configuration files have been left installed.  I would like to
> have Aptitude be able to sort by package state so the 'c' packages can
> be grouped together in the UI for easy purging.
>
> Did I miss something in the manual or do I need to file a Wishlist bug?

Yes you missed something in the manual [1] :)
Search Patterns.

I would suggest you use l to limit the display to ~c
This will only display the 'c' packages.  You can then hit _ on the
whole list to tell aptitude to purge them all.

Hit g and you'll see what aptitude wants to do.  Verify that it is
correct.  Hit g again and it will do it.

Then use l again and remove the search patern and you will have your
regular display back.

Doug.
---
1.	/usr/share/doc/aptitude/html/en/ch02s03.html