Re: AMD64 Kernel Image in Etch

Wackojacko wrote:
Grok Mogger wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to get a new AMD Athlon 64 processor, and I'm a little concerned that I can't identify the proper linux-image package (planning on using etch).

I do an "aptitude search linux-image" and look through what comes up, but none of them look like the right one. I did a search on Debian.org in the package lists and found something more like what I anticipated: a package named "linux-image-2.6.18-3-amd64".
http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/linux-image-2.6-amd64

But this doesn't show up in my search results when I use aptitude. Can anyone help me out? I'd primarily like to know what linux-image I should use, but I'd also appreciate it if someone could shed some light on why my aptitude search results often differ from what I find searching the package list on debian.org, it's happened to me many times.

Thanks,
- GM

I assume you are currently running a non 64 bit processor and are therefore using i386 version of debian. AFAIK there are no longer any amd64 kernels in i386. The kernel you have linked is for the amd64 distribution which is a completed different set of packages, the majority of which are 64 bit specific. This requires a complete reinstall from scratch, although you can keep the i386 install alongside if you wish. This is what I have done.

That said the generic 386 kernel, or better the K7 kernel in the i386 distribution will give you most of the extensions the amd64 is capable of without the need to reinstall.

HTH

Wackojacko

Alright, I think that makes sense.  So I have two more questions...

1) The reason I don't find the amd64 linux-images when I search with aptitude is because aptitude is not showing me packages for a 64-bit processor because my current system uses a 32-bit processor, correct?

2) I'm actually building an entirely new system. So I will be reinstalling everything. =) So I can safely assume that the installer will auto-detect my AMD Athlon 64 and pick the right linux-image for me, right?

Thanks,
- GM