Re: apt-get upgrade and recent samba security update

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 10:13:41PM +0200, Alexander Shulgin wrote:
> [...]
> I've been following the recent samba security update (DSA 1257-1
> issued on February 5th).  So I typed this on my terminal:
> [...]
> and was quite surprised by the download size.  It was about 23.6 megs
> and included packages `samba', `samba-common', `samba-doc', `swat' and
> may be some more of them but all related to samba.  I had all my
> packages updated before the issue.

Looking a little closer to the Announcement it shows you that all of
those packages were affected by this. Just take a look at the list
"Fixed in:".

> I've downloaded all of it anyway, but now I wonder how could a minor
> fix affect _that_ much so I need to download all of this stuff?  Am I
> the only one who experience such a problem?

Since all those packages needed to be upgraded they all had to be
completely downloaded. AFAIK There is no (not yet?) such thing as
incremental upgrades or binary patches. Anytime a package needs an
upgrade it is done by downloading its complete new version.

So it is a "problem" (not indeed, it's a feature ;) that all Debian
users experience.

Regards
--
Marcus Blumhagen

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move
in the opposite direction."
                                                      -- Albert Einstein