Remastering LiveCDs - how to keep unnecessary data out

Hi,

I would like to remaster a Debian based live CD (grml - www.grml.org,
in this case) by copying the system from the squashfs image, chrooting
to it, making the necessary modifications and squashing the resulting
system back up.
It works nicely enough, BUT: All manners of cache files, .deb files
and such are left lying around and increase the size of the final ISO
quite dramatically.
So, the question is this: How do I prevent those files from making it
into the squashfs? This far, I have deleted the contents of
/var/cache/apt /var/lib/apt and /var/lib/dpkg. That, of course,
renders apt and dpkg unusable, but that's mostly OK.
I thought about bind-mounting directories external to the directory
structure to those directories so the changes I make would be
preserved but not written to the CD. Would that be a good idea? And
what other files and directories can I leave out of the squashfs to
make the whole thing a bit smaller?

Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
 --j