Re: How to switch to text mode

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 11:04:14AM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> If all you need is browsing, the fastest start you can get is xinit
> with your browser instead of an xterm (I don't remember what config file
> to change, maybe .xinitrc?). But you won't be able to run anything else.
> A more flexible solution is to use some minimalistic window manager
> (fluxbox, ... or even icewm).

If plain X is not sufficient, I'd recommend wmii. It has a really
small footprint in terms of memory usage and depencies; libc6,
libx11-6, libxrandr2 plus their respective depencies, but that's it.
And also it is a windows manager in the words' sense, because it
maximizes the usage of the screen by arranging (managing) your
windows.
For me it was definitely worth the 1 hour learning time.  Never want
to miss it anymore.

Just my 2¢

Regards
--
Marcus Blumhagen

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move
in the opposite direction."
                                                      -- Albert Einstein