Re: font problems

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 20:24:08 -0500
"Mike Polyakov" <mike.polyakov@gmail.com> wrote:

> > This line tells you that fontconfig is simply ignoring the font. It
> > would be interesting to see what would happen if you placed a true
> > type font there.
>
> It works with true-type version of the same font (from this url:
> http://www.proggyfonts.com/index.php?menu=download):

[...]

> $ fc-list | grep -i proggy
> ProggyCleanTT:style=Regular

Mysterious. So are other bitmap fonts recognised by fontconfig, e.g.,
Helvetica or Courier?

> > All I can suggest now is that you copy the font to one of the
> > system directories listed when you run 'fc-cache -vf' (without a
> > directory argument). Seems a lot of trouble to go to just to use a
> > font, doesn't it? Fortunately, defoma does all this work for you in
> > the case of official Debian font packages.
>
> The reason I wanted to use pcf font is because ttf version does not
> display correctly on one of the machines where I'd like to use it. Is
> there any way that I can diagnose where the problem is? Any sort of
> error log that font systems keeps?

No, I'm not aware of an error log.

> Also, the font system in linux is complex. As I understand, font
> handling can happen inside X itself, inside Xft and with Xfs server.
> Is there any reason why three different system components are
> responsible for fonts? What are the pros/cons of each one and where
> can I find more information about each?

The first explanation I came across was provided some years ago by
Redhat. Here is the link (search for "fonts"):

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/release-notes/x86/

I understand that fontconfig support is to be included in the next
release of Xorg, with the older font system being deprecated.

--

Liam