Re: Debian dedicated server (provider)?

Steffan Davies:
> Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
>
>> Why not make an Etch netinst.iso and take it to the server and try it?
>
> Sadly, they won't do that for me (though I suggested it myself -all our
> other boxes are upgraded immediately to Etch as soon as we get them) and
> Servermatrix live several thousand miles away from SteffHQ, ruling out a
> visit in person.

To migrate an existing Linux system to Debian you do not to be there in
person. See debootstrap. I used it once to do a clean reinstall (on a
sarge machine, but it really doesn't matter). You just stop all
services, disable and reformat swap, install to the former swap drive,
reboot and move the stuff back from it. There are plenty of howtos on
this topic.

J.
--
I feel yawning hollowness whilst talking to people at parties.
[Agree]   [Disagree]