Re: samba-common = 3.0.23d-4 but 3.0.24-2 is installed

On 2/6/07, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
I think you are misunderstanding the output of your "apt-get -f install"
command: It wants to replace samba 3.0.23d-4 with version 3.0.24-2. This
is a normal upgrade attempt. The problem is that the pre-removal script
of the package fails for some reason.

I think you must be right. I read the whole thing incorrectly.

What should work is to trick dpkg (and hence apt) into thinking that the
script was successful. To do this cleanly you should first stop the
samba daemons yourself. (Stopping these daemons is all that the prerm
script is supposed to do.) You can run

Samba was not running on my machine so there was essentially nothing I
had to do to stop it.

Once you have shut down the daemons like this you can simply "castrate"
the prerm script. Edit the file

/var/lib/dpkg/info/sambe.prerm

This file doesn't even exist on my system. Do I create a new one or is
the problem worse than you initially thought?
--
Regards
Justin Hartman