Re: Attracting newbies (Was Booting Debian/testing fails)

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 14:20:15 -0600
Dustin <sworoc@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Debian is a rock solid operating system that is best used for
> servers, or by experienced users that know how to shape it into a
> flexible desktop.
>
> I personally think this is an excellent image to have.  The reason
> there are so many Debian-based distros out there is because it is a
> solid base. That is also why so many mission critical servers seem to
> use Debian.  Of course Debian is also known as being a purist distro,
> the most "free" of all.  To cater to a lot of new users that are
> unfamiliar with Linux, some things seem to get thrown in.  Example:
> MEPIS and Ubuntu seem have a lot of drivers thrown in that maybe
> aren't as open as they could be.  This is a sacrifice they make to
> cater to the new user.
>
> I, in no way intend to push away a new user to Linux, I am all for it.
> However, it may just be my perception of things, but I think that
> Debian should continue to be Debian, rock solid and committed to
> being done the "right" (entirely open) way, and not the "quick" way.
> As users gain experience with Debian-based systems, they will find
> themselves wanting more, and they will come to Debian.
>
> You have to sharpen your teeth a little at a time, starting with
> something soft, and working up to the solid stuff.  Debian is that
> solid stuff, and I think that it is best to keep following the same
> line it always has.
>
> Make it as easy to use as possible, yes.  Water it down to make it
> easier, no.
>
> -Dustin

Totally agree 100%. I run 3 internet servers, command line only, 2
using sarge and the latest (non-critical) using etch. I have also just
installed etch on my desktop at home, GUI with Gnome. Have had no
problems (well, apart from my balls ups) with any of them. Over the
years I have tried, in rough order of installation, Red Hat, SuSe,
Mandrake, Slackware, Gentoo, Ubuntu and Sabayon. There were others (OK
I'm a Linux slut). I still have a soft spot for Slack but Debian just
does it for me.

Anyhow, I found the latest etch installed effortlessly and, with a few
minor exceptions, worked 'out of the box'.

Regards
--
John K Masters - User #417400 in the Linux Counter
http://counter.li.org/