Re: Rsync, how to include ~/.files but not ~/.dirs

On 2007-01-25 @ 04:05:25 (week 04) ][ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to tell rsync to backup all the . files under my home but
> no any . directories? E.g., .profile in, but .gconf/ & .gnome/ etc out?
>
> FYI, I tried with the following exclude rules but it didn't work, . directories
> are still included.
>
>  rsync -vua --exclude-from=exclude.list
>
>  File exclude.list:
>  + /home/tong/.*
>  /home/tong/.*/

I'd suggest you take a look at the difference between * and **. A single
asterisk will match files, but not directories. A double asterisk will
match directories too. That's what I use in my includes file and it
works like a charm.

Of course I am cheating a little bit here by assuming their will only be
hidden directories beneath the first level in your home directory.

HTH

Grx HdV