Re: Removing desktop environments

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 07:54:27PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 06:48:34PM EST, Mathias Brodala wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > cga2000, 06.02.2007 00:29:
> > > What bothers me, though, is that a lot of the stuff in /usr/share/ --
> > > one Meg here .. 600K there .. etc. apparently belongs to packages I have
> > > removed (apt-get remove package-name) .. Probably adds up to a hundred
> > > Meg or thereabout .. Looks like I should have specified a purge flag or
> > > whatever and I would probably have freed up a couple more hundred
> > > Megs.. probably too late now.
> >
> > No problem. You could use some one-liner like the following:
> >
> > # for i in `dpkg -l | grep ^rc | awk '{print $2}'`;do dpkg -P "$i";done

nice.

[...]
> I ran the "dpkg -l | grep ^rc | awk .. " bit -- up to the semicolon
> and I have about three screenful worth of packages .. everything I
> removed over the weekend, it would seem..
>
> > But make sure that you *really* need none of those config files anymore.
>
> Well, that's what I found surprising .. the /usr/share stuff is not
> config files .. more like doc .. examples .. metaprograms / metadata ..
> I'm not sure why these files were not removed by a regular "apt-get
> remove" in the first place .. ??

the default remove is just to remove the package but not its config
files.

> In any event, I never even _used_ the vast majority of these packages ..
> let alone configure them .. My guess is that they got pulled in when I
> installed gnome/kde.

then you can probably safely purge them. Basically the only things
you're worried about here are configs you heavily customised for
packages you think you might want again in the future.

> As far as I can remember, the only thing I need to worry about is to
> make sure I do not remove any .gconf, .gtkrc or .kderc file -- and
> possibly ".qtrc" if there is such a thing .. because I have some X
> font-related stuff in here that I would rather hang on to ..

by .<config-file> I assume you mean ~/.<config-file> in which case you
should be fine. I believe that apt doesn't touch config files in your
home dir.