Re: Removing desktop environments

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 02:24:14PM EST, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 01:42:30PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> >
> > I want to remove all the crud from my system in order to be able to run
> > backups that are fast, small, and simple.
> >
> > I installed gnome and kde at one point but I never use them.
> >
> > I have no intention of reinstalling them at a later date.
>
> okay, that makes way more sense ;)
>
> If you installed them using "gnome-desktop-environment" and kde's
> equivalent, then just uninstall those meta-packages and see what else
> it tries to take away. If it takes more than you want, then try taking
> out the next level of packages down from the meta-packages (apt-cache
> show gnome-desktop-environment | grep DEPENDS) and work your way
> through it. I agree with the others here that aptitude is way more
> suited to this kind of task. You can mark the meta package for removal
> and then press 'g' to see the proposed actions. Then you can scroll
> through the list of removals and mark '+' all the stuff you want to
> keep. Very easy.

I've never managed to figure out how full-screen aptitude works ..

:-/

I spent the last couple of hours removing packages and I still have a
3.0G system.  I only use text-mode apps such as mutt, slrn, or vim these
days so it's hard to figure out what's using up all that space.

I did notice that /usr/share/ has over 700M of stuff in it and this
looks suspicious.

Anyway, thanks much for your suggestions/help and thanks also to all
who bothered to comment.

Thanks,

cga