Re: Netinstall via bridge [SOLVED]

On 2/4/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

[snip]

> You win :). I couldn't get a bridge working properly, so I connected
> laptop <-> lucy via a spare switch that I bought specifically for this
> purpose. I first tried a straight cable connection, hoping that NICs
> (a several year old Realtek card on lucy and an integrated Broadcom on
> the laptop) would support Auto-Crossover, but I couldn't get it to
> work; either one or both don't do Auto-Crossover, or I did something
> wrong. I didn't bother buying a crossover cable since I could get a
> new router / wireless AP / switch (with a [straight] CAT5 cable) for
> only $20 after rebate from Newegg (less if you have patience to lurk
> and hunt for the perfect bargain).
> I use shorewall, so to enable NAT I just added /etc/shorewall/masq
> with the single line "ath0 eth0", and modified the zones and  policy
> files appropriately. Voila, seamless net connectivity! You were right.

I'm glad it worked.

Doug.

For posterity, I'll add: I didn't use dhcp on either NIC, since that
would have caused havoc by changing the gateway and nameserver
information had I used the (new) router's dhcp server, and setting up
my own would have been far too much of a hassle. I just assigned each
NIC an ip address manually (192.168.1.100 / 101), and I copied one of
the nameservers from /etc/resolv.conf (populated by the dhcp server on
the original router, which in turn got it from the ISP) to the laptop.

Celejar