Re: Netinstall via bridge

On 1/28/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

[snip]

Hi  Celejar

Let me try to draw this out and see if I've got it right:

        +--------+                +--------+               +--------+
internet | molly  |  192.168.1.0   |  lucy  | 192.168.2.0   | laptop |
        |.168.1.1|  255.255.255.0 |.168.2.1| 255.255.255.0 |.168.2.2|
        |        |                |.168.1.2|               |        |
        +--------+                +--------+               +--------+

On lucy, you set it for ip forwarding.  You install the ipmasq package
which does the masquarading out of the box.  You can also install the
dnsmasq package which does caching dns service out of the box.

On the laptop you tell it that your gateway and also your dns
server is 192.168.1.1

Molly will only see traffic coming from lucy because lucy will masqurade
it.

Lucy will of course need two ethernet cards unless you're using a serial
null-modem and going ppp (been there, done that, works great).

I've done this all the time, especially when ethernet switches were
expensive and not all my boxs had ethernet cards.  Don't let the NAT on
lucy bother you.  The ipmasq package does its job just fine with no
tweaking.  If you _want_ it can also serve dhcp but I always set up
stuff manually.

Put all three boxes into all three box's /etc/hosts file.  Test it out
with ping.

Enjoy.

Doug.

You win :). I couldn't get a bridge working properly, so I connected
laptop <-> lucy via a spare switch that I bought specifically for this
purpose. I first tried a straight cable connection, hoping that NICs
(a several year old Realtek card on lucy and an integrated Broadcom on
the laptop) would support Auto-Crossover, but I couldn't get it to
work; either one or both don't do Auto-Crossover, or I did something
wrong. I didn't bother buying a crossover cable since I could get a
new router / wireless AP / switch (with a [straight] CAT5 cable) for
only $20 after rebate from Newegg (less if you have patience to lurk
and hunt for the perfect bargain).
I use shorewall, so to enable NAT I just added /etc/shorewall/masq
with the single line "ath0 eth0", and modified the zones and  policy
files appropriately. Voila, seamless net connectivity! You were right.

Celejar