Re: What UPS to buy: a MGE Evolution 850 or an APC Smart-UPS 750?

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 02/04/07 15:15, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 01:49:47PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/04/07 07:59, Colin wrote:
J.A. de Vries wrote:
Hi,

Due to power outages at my home I want to buy an UPS for my SOHO server.
For my needs something between 700 and 1000VA should be enough. I'd like
to have auto shutdown and powerup and some monitoring facilities too.

After some Googling I am thinking of buying either an APC Smart-UPS 750
or a MGE Evolution 850. As far as I know APC is the "big brand" and it
certainly is the one that is the easiest to get around here. Their
Powerchute software seems to support Linux as well.
Don't skimp on the UPS.  For a SOHO, get a 1000 or 1500.
Absolutely true. But it pain(s)/(ed) me that the UPS will cost equal to the entire system...
Only equal?  What other devices do you need to power during power
failures to keep your business operating?  Phone, phax, printer, copier?

fax, printer & copier should *never* be run from battery.  They draw
an *enormous* amount of power.  CRTs are in the same boat.  Don't
know about LCDs.

SOHO UPSs are not for running your desktop; they are for preserving
your state during a short power outage, and nicely shutting the
machine down during a longer outage.

Right. I only have the PC + external modem on UPS, not the monitors or anything else. Gives me 18 minutes on battery if the power goes.