Re: font problems

Hi All,

I've had this problem for a while and it would be nice to resolve it
once and for all. I am trying to install ProggyClean pcf font from
http://www.proggyfonts.com/index.php?menu=download. I've read a couple
of tutorials on how to do this, but still the font does not show up in
the font selection dialog of GVIM. These are the steps I have tried:

$ cp ProggyClean.pcf.gz ~/.fonts
$ cd ~/.fonts
$ gzip -d ProggyClean.pcf.gz
$ mkfontdir
$ xset +fp $(pwd)
$ xset fp rehash
# /etc/init.d/xfs restart
  Stopping X font server: xfs.
  Setting up X font server socket directory /tmp/.font-unix...done.
  Starting X font server: xfs.
$ xlsfonts | grep -i proggy
  -windows-proggyclean-medium-r-normal--0-0-96-96-c-0-iso8859-1
  -windows-proggyclean-medium-r-normal--13-80-96-96-c-70-iso8859-1

So xlsfonts shows that the font is installed. I can even choose it
with xfontsel utility. However, the it is not shown in font selector
inside GVIM (or other text editors such as gedit or kedit). My GVIM is
the standard vim-gtk package, which uses GTK2 GUI. I was able to
resolve this in the past by compiling gvim on my own with gtk gui,
which is considerably different from gtk2. However, now I am running
into problems while compiling gvim, and ultimately I would like to use
this font with any gtk2 gui program without having to compile
anything. Please help me, this has been bothering me for a while.

Thanks.

Is this a bitmap font? Fontconfig (the font library used by GTK and QT)
ignores bitmap fonts by default. To change this, run 'dpkg-reconfigure
fontconfig-config' as root and answer yes to the question re. bitmap
fonts. On sarge the command is 'dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig'.

Hi,
This is a pcf font and I think it is a bitmapped font. I ran
dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config and answered yes to using bitmapped
fonts. However this did not solve my problem and I still can't choose
to use that font inside GVIM's font selected dialog. Any other ideas?
Thanks.