Re: Vim colour syntax

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 08:54:18PM EST, Stephen wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 07:42:28PM -0500 or thereabouts, cga2000 wrote:
>
> [ ...]
>
> > In vim, you could try:
> >
> > :colorscheme
>
> That didn't produce anything.

I meant :colorscheme +<TAB> .. not :colorscheme + <ENTER>

But that could very well be the case .. I don't have a bare bones vim
to check.

> I'm been playing around with this on my own a bit. When I ':syntax enable' I'm
> returned;
>
> 	Error detected while processing /usr/share/vim/vim70/syntax/syntax.vim:
> 	line   42:
> 	E216: No such group or event: filetypedetect BufRead
>
> So visiting '/usr/share/vim/vim70/syntax/syntax.vim' the lines from 42
> and immediately above are;
>
> 	" Execute the syntax autocommands for the each buffer.
> 	" If the filetype wasn't detected yet, do that now.
> 	" Always do the syntaxset autocommands, for buffers where the 'filetype'
> 	" already was set manually (e.g., help buffers).
> 	doautoall syntaxset FileType
> 	if !s:did_ft
> 	  doautoall filetypedetect BufRead
>
> Anyone have any ideas, regarding this specific error in terms of colour syntax
> not showing?

seems autodetection of the filetype is not working (?)

assuming you use the bash shell, you could try editing ~/.bashrc and
issue a:

:set ft=sh

.. see what happens.

:h filetype

Also check out:

:h :verbose

.. see if this helps.

> Update:
>
> Actually, I just commented it out. No difference (other than no error). I guess
> I'll ask on a specialized list.

I definitely recommend this approach.

Make sure you describe the actual symptoms -- rather than a vague "not
working" ..

What kind of file are you editing?

Did you try different types -- C .. Perl .. Python .. bash .. html ..
vim's help files .. etc.  ??

The folks on the vim list may also want to know what terminal you are
using (xterm ..  rxvt..) .. or is this happening with gvim?

Anyway .. HTH .. and best of luck.

cga