Re: iceweasel not being recognized by ISP website

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 07:58:45PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
H.S. writes:
IIRC, it used to work before. Maybe the browser identification string is
causing the problem!? Any suggestions?
Iceweasel identifies as Iceweasel, not Firefox (not my idea).  However, it
works exactly like Firefox and so will work with any site that "supports"
Firefox.  It looks as if they are just warning you that everything may not
work (they're wrong).  If so, just ignore the warning.

If this warning is *all* they do depending on the browser identification you have no problem. But if they decide to create different content deoending on it, theyre may be problems. I'd hope that they generate standards-complying content for anything that identifies itself as not being IE, even though they might still spoonfeed IE clients.
I'd also suggest taking your business elsewhere as these doofuses are
evidently not capable of putting up a standards-compliant site.
--
John Hasler

The website shows that warning and suggests I either download Firefox or IE 6 or 7, all for Windows. They do not support any non-Windows browser at all! Even Safari comes with some warnings, though they claim you can get the work done with Safari.

Anyhow, I installed the user agent extension and the site now works, both in Mozilla and also in Firefox. I just had to claim I was Firefox running on Windows.

Thanks, everyone.
->HS