Re: Etch display problem

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:54:24 -0600
Default User <xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> s. keeling wrote:
>
> >Default User <xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net>:
> >

> >> I just installed Etch Testing using the Netinst CD.  Upon bootup,

[SNIP}

> Note:  In the GNOME desktop, when choosing the Screen Resolution menu
> option, the resolutions available are
>
> 1024x768
> 800x600
> 640x480
>
> I have chose 1024x768 as the default resolution.  Fine.  But the only
> menu option available for any resolution is
>
> 85 Hz
>
> which works, but I don't like driving the video hardware that hard.  I
> prefer running at 72 Hz or even 60 Hz.  I would like to know how to
> reset the refresh rate.

Hi there,

If the hardware is designed to operate at that refresh rate
then why not?

>From my own experience, running my monitor at 60Hz is impossible,
making me feel physically sick.

Years ago, this effect prevented me getting anywhere with early attempts
to install RedHat because I couldn't actually read on-screen for long
enough to read what to do to fix the problem.

So, for my eye comfort, I usually run at the fastest refresh rate the
card and monitor combination allows, finding from experience that
nothing starts at all if anything is set too high, or you will know by
the fuzzy noisy screen.

So, having confirmed the specification of the monitor and card, see
if it is better for you at a higher rate, working up from 60Hz in small
increments. Perhaps this may save you eye problems in later life.

And if by any chance my information may have possible ill effects for
hardware or humans, someone will correct me.

HTH

del