Re: sources.list urls for Etch

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 07:19:05AM -0700, danny@dannysrealm.com wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I have Etch and got my systems (laptop and desktop) running nicely.
> I an still realitively new to Debian/Linux and love it.
> I understand Etch is frozen and will soon be the stable version.
> I want to make sure I have the correct urls in my sources.list file.
>
> This is what I have now:
>
> deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main
> deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
>
> I looked every where and cannot find anything conclusive.
> This is what I have found so far:
>
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
>
> I am in the United States.
>
> Will these work?
> What about the kernel?
> How about security udates?
>
> I use aptitude to maintain my systems and don't want to break anything
> when I update.

Hi Danny, I'll answer in reverse order.

Security updates come from your security.debian.org line.
The kernel is just another package in debian so it will come in with
everything else.

If they _have_ been working then they will continue to do so.

The ones you found (ftp.debian.org) is just another mirror.  If you want
the closest mirror, go to the debian.org website and go to the choosing
a mirror page.  It lists all the mirrors.  Choose the one closest and
edit the sources.list.

To continue to follow Etch when it is stable, change all references in
your sources list from testing to etch.  If you don't, when Etch becomes
stable you will start to follow Lenny.

After you make any changes to the sources.list, run an update from
aptitude.

Doug.