Re: The Final Frontier. Upgrading Sarge to Etch

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 10:38:43PM +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

> I'd love to have a backup  of the Sarge install, but have never been quite
> sure how to take it . I've read a bit about rdiff, but have never tried it.

Please have a backup of _your_ data (e.g. /home).  Tar it.  Then:
	burn to CD or DVD
	scp to another system

You would also do well to:
	tar up /etc and put it with your home.tar.bz2
	dpkg --get-selections > inst_deb.sel and store it as well

Have an alternate means of boot, e.g. a grub-floppy if you can boot from
floppy.  The netinst.iso (or at least the businesscard.iso) Etch.  It
has a good rescue mode.

Print out the errata, release notes, and have access to the installation
manual.

Enjoy.

Doug.