unable to mount root fs on unknown--block(0,0)

Hi,

Does anybody happens to know what might cause this,
which is what I get when booting my USB disk via grub?

 Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root
fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I searched for the answer, but seems most of them
suggested bad disk, eg,

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-newbie@vger.kernel.org/msg06843.html
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/installation/40167-kernel-panic-not-syncing-vfs-unable-mount-root-fs-unknown-block-8-18-a.html

but my disk fsck fine, mount fine, boot to grub fine,
just can't mount root. I want to know what other check
points I should do...

Here is my grub/menu.lst

title           GRML Live
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz
root=UUID=b53f0a8b-deab-40b3-a84c-0779cb8b7772 ro
boot

title           From grml.live
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=LABEL=grml.live ro
boot

Note, that although the USB disk is (hd0) during grub
boot, it will become sdb when Linux starts (tested
with DSL). would that be an issue?

thanks

Have a burning question?