OT MySQL and PostgreSQL

The recent heated discussion as to the relative merits of MySQL and
PostgresSQL reminded me of a question that I want to ask of RDBMS
experts, particularly experts who are willing to take a clear
position. Namely, what do you think of the work of C. J. Date? He
rejects SQL, as far as I can tell. Is there any support for this
position in the real world?  Or in the academic world? What of
his objection to null 'values'? How does this play out when doing
mission critical DB? Does it matter? Or are there standards
techniques for avoiding any need for nulls?

I look forward to reading an interesting discussion.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net