Re: Will Debian include Ubuntu changes?

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 01:34:19PM -0500, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> In particular, I'm interested in finding out if Debian has any intention
> of including some of the wireless drivers that Ubuntu has gotten into
> their kernel.  Does anyone know anything about this, or who I should
> contact?
>
> In particular, I'm interested in Debian including the 818x driver for
> realtek chips.  It's sort of a wishlist item, and the code is already
> there in Ubuntu.  But it's also a hardware support request, and I can
> only imagine what things would be like if there were a bug submitted on
> every piece of hardware that people wanted to get working.

Ask on debian-boot.

I don't do Ubuntu.  I _think_ that the reason that some find newer
hardware supported is that they use a newer kernel.  Newer than what, I
don't know.  When bleeding-edge hardware gest support in the kernel
upstream, it takes some time to get through unstable (Sid) into testing
(currently Etch).  But at least when it does, it has been tested to some
extent and doesn't break other stuff.

So first see if Etch solves it for you.

Doug.