Kismet and Hermes wireless card

Hello I'm using Debian Etch and just switched wireless card to an orinoco hermes I chipset - the card is using 8.7 firmware

I'm using kismet with the card and I get this error:

Server options:  none
Client options:  none
Starting server...
Waiting for server to start before starting UI...
Suid priv-dropping disabled.  This may not be secure.
No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
Enabling channel hopping.
Enabling channel splitting.
Source 0 (orinocosource): Enabling monitor mode for orinoco source interface eth2 channel 6...
FATAL: Could not find 'monitor' private ioctl or use the newer style 'mode monitor' command.  This typically means that the drivers have not been patched or the correct drivers are being loaded. See the troubleshooting section of the README for more information.

This is the source part of my /etc/kismet/kismet.conf file

source=orinoco,eth2,orinocosource

I've read around and there are some suggestions to change the firmware of the card. Do I need to do this or does anybody know an easier fix?