Re: Fonts problem on Debian Etch

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 18:00, David Shultz wrote:
> I've installed debian etch(daily built). And i gotta say
> it's impressive. Now i have a problem. The problem is
> related to the display of fonts on screen. Fonts that
> are displayed on screen are partly blurry and partly ok.
> Even the cursor is like that. Is it possible to fix this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --David

David,

Please check to see if you have the package fontconfig-config installed.

If so, then do this as root:

	dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config

I have a laptop, so my settings may be different, but playing around with
fontconfig-config dramatically improved my fonts under kde.

First screen shows:

	Native
	Autohinter
	None

I selected Autohinter

Next screen shows enable subpixel screen rendering:

	Automatic
	Always
	Never

I selected:

	Automatic

Next screen shows enable bitmapped fonts by default:

	Yes
	No

I selected:

	No

I then logged out, and restarted the xserver just to be sure, and my fonts
were significantly improved.

John Schmidt