Re: Etch is REALLY fast! :-)

Liam O'Toole wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:10:25 -0500
Dave Witbrodt <dawitbro@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[...]
I thought it was particularly hilarious that I had to recompile my entire kernel, whereas my original decision to upgrade to Etch was intended to allow me to preserve it. Sarge runs XFree86, but my new video card required a new driver blob and kernel module. The Etch upgrade, of course, installed XOrg and the module I had compiled for Sarge was targetting XFree86. I thought I could just compile a new kernel module, but then realized that I had just installed a new version of 'gcc'. I got "gcc version 4.1.2 ..." when I ran 'gcc -v', but I had compiled my kernel with gcc 3.3.5. So, I had a fresh '.config' file to use, and just recompiled the whole kernel along with the ATI module -- it only took about 15 minutes. Later, I realized that there is also a 'gcc-3.3' package on my system, and probably could have just compiled the ATI module alone after all. (Sometimes ya gotta learn the hard way!)

[...]

I'm sure that was a valuable learning experience, but there is an
easier way of installing the ATI drivers. See the packages
fglrx-driver and fglrx-kernel-src, both in the non-free section. The
latter can be auto-installed using module-assistant.

Thanks for the tip. As it turns out I already knew about this. It's just that AMD/ATI just released a brand new driver package this month, and I wanted that:

	dawitbro@P4WRK:~$ apt-cache policy fglrx-kernel-src
	fglrx-kernel-src:
	  Installed: 8.33.6-1
	  Candidate: 8.33.6-1
	  Version table:
	 *** 8.33.6-1 0
	        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
	     8.28.8-4 0
	        400 http://debian.uchicago.edu etch/non-free Packages

Installed is the new proprietary package, 8.33 ; the Etch archive contains 8.28. (It's very likely that I wouldn't have noticed any difference, though, unless my card was not supported by 8.28 or something. It was NOT supported yet in 8.23.)

Thanks again,
DW