Re: Boot logs ?

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 09:31:01PM -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 01:59:53 +0000 (GMT)

> > >    So what am I running? - I installed Sarge, and picked the testing
>
> This is my sources.list:
>
> #deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main
>
> deb ftp://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
> deb-src ftp://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

you are running testing which is currently synonymous with
'etch'. 'etch' is the name of the next stable release. 'etch' is
almost done with its testing phase and will be moving to stable
soon. If you like the system you have and want to stick with it,
change the non-security lines of sources.list: replace occurences of
'testing' with 'etch'. That way you'll stick with 'etch' as it moves
into stable. If you leave it like it is, you'll face a major package
churn in testing as etch moves out into stable. confusing I know.

> >   ii) IFF that points to Etch/testing, have you done a dist-upgrade?
>
>     It doesn't but I have done many update/dist-upgrades since the
> installation.

ah, but it does! right now etch and testing are the same thing. thats
why he wrote "Etch/testing".  The update/dist-upgrades ensure that you
have tracked etch/testing right along.

>    Yup. I still have Ubuntu Dapper on another partition but since my
> switch to Debian I haven't booted it. But Debian is just different
> enough from Ubuntu that I feel a bit lost at times.

welcome! You will soon learn what makes Ubuntu so great... its built
on Debian!!

oh, and you'll get comfortable in short order. The differences aren't
all that great.