Re: Getting started with Postgres or MySQL

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 02:54:01PM -0900, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:

> In that same document, they give the reason for doing so:
>
> "The reason for using the preceding rules in non-strict mode is that we can't
> check these conditions until the statement has begun executing. We can't just
> roll back if we encounter a problem after updating a few rows, because the
> storage engine may not support rollback. The option of terminating the
> statement is not that good; in this case, the update would be ???half done,???
> which is probably the worst possible scenario. In this case, it's better
> to ???do the best you can??? and then continue as if nothing happened."

I'm sorry, but "our database can't always handle transactions" is not a
valid excuse for allowing bogus data.

> And also provide a way (from 5.0.2 on) of enabling the "traditional" strict
> behavior.  So, with one config option, MySQL will now reject all invalid data
> (providing you're using transactional engines, for reasons described above).

Please read this:

http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=219722&cid=17824340

Now, tell me seriously that it is valid for any database to treat data
integrity as an *optional* feature.

> As for your assertion that those who spec MySQL don't know what they're doing,
> I do believe the techs that work at MySQL are some pretty sharp cookies.  I
> think they know what they're doing, and I'm sure they know how to either
> enable the above config option, or check their data before it gets to their
> database.

So what?  Microsoft has some absolutely brilliant architects, engineers
and developers.  They are still polishing a turd.

> All products have their gotchas.  One should be familiar with the product
> against which one is writing, or weird things will bite you down the road.

Boy, that's an understatement.

Regards,

-Roberto

--