Re: Getting started with Postgres or MySQL

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 01:50:14PM -0900, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 January 2007 13:19, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > > How do I get started here?
> >
> > First.  Please do not use MySQL, unless you don't care about your data.
>
> Please stop this MySQL vs. PostgreSQL bashing.  Each has their place.  If

I am not bashing.  MySQL's place is places where people don't care about
their data.  Full stop.  End of story.

> users of MySQL don't care about their data, then I guess Bayer, Colgate,
> Ensembl Genome Browser, Genome Sciences Center (GSC), The Institute for
> Genomic Research, AIRBUS/EADS, Australian Department of Defence, Los Alamos
> National Laboratory, Ministère de la Defense (France), CraigsList, Google,
> iStockphoto, PriceGrabber, Ticketmaster, Yahoo!, CERN - The ATLAS Experiment
> at LHC, Bank of Canada, Lloyds TSB Bank, Linden Lab (Second Life), California
> Air Review Board, Department of Homeland Security, NASA, NASA Jet Propulsion
> Lab (JPL), DaimlerChrysler, Epson, Chicago Sun-Times, Slashdot, Dell,
> Hewlett-Packard, Novell, Siemens, Sun Microsystems, Symantec, Texas
> Instruments, AT&T Wireless, Cable & Wireless, Cisco Systems, Nokia, Lufthansa
> Systems, Orbitz, 37signals, del.icio.us, Digg, Facebook, Feedburner,
> Feedster, Flickr, Freshmeat.net, Technorati, Wikipedia, and YouTube (among
> many others, see http://www.mysql.com/customers/ ) don't care about their
> data.  These are companies that live and die by their data, I'm sure they
> care about it very much.  Each has their place.  MySQL has come a long way
> since its 3.23 days.  Read the manual.  Form your own opinions.  A lot has
> changed.

Umm.  Maybe they all use MySQL as the backend for phpBB or something
like that.  I would like to see proof that some bank (since you list a
few) is actually using MySQL as the backend for a *real* core system of
theirs.  Hint: you won't find one.  Just because LANL, NASA and some
banks bought some MySQL licenses doesn't mean that they are using it to
host their mission critical data.  The US Army, Air Force, Navy and
Marines buy plenty of Dodge Stratus and similar vehicles.  That does not
make them suitable substitutes for tanks, airplanes or ships.

As I said before, MySQL has its place where you don't care about your
data.

Regards,

-Roberto

--