Re: After Sarge->Etch update: Computer doesn't boot. Wife unhappy.

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 10:08:14AM +0100, Dan H. wrote:
> hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>
> > Could it be assigning names (hda, hdc, sda, sdc, etc) differently at
> > different boots?
>
> It not only could be, that's what it was. I had to change hdc to hdg
> after the upgrade (both in the kernel boot line and in fstab, of course).
>
> Now here are the things I can't figure out for the life of me:
>
> Why do harddisk partition names magically change through a kernel update
> (2.4.17 -> 2.6.18)?

because the device assignment is handled by a new tool, udev, and the
results can thus be different.

> How can I happily have rebooted the machine several times without having
> made those changes? All I recall is that sometimes the sytem wouldn't
> want to start until after a reboot.

that is indeed a mystery. perhaps you have some bits of hardware that
don't always come up in a timely manner causing udev to see them
differently sometimes? Maybe you should look into putting the proper
modules into the initrd manually and in a particular order so that
things come up the way you expect.

or as I suggested before, you might need to rebuild your initrd from
within the system once you've got it up properly.

hth