Re: Sid + nVidia + Compiz == no good?

On 1/29/07, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 18:01:58 -0500, Nelson Castillo wrote:
>On 1/25/07, B. L. Jilek <bljilek@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Hi Magnus!
>>
>>On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Magnus Therning wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to get Compiz to run on my Debian Sid system.  This is
>>> the setup:
>>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>You didn't say which nvidia driver you are using. I believe that
>>compiz requires features that are only in the beta drivers fom the
>>nvidia website. I think the current version is 9746.
>
>I did that, but the new Nvidia drivers broke xinerama (I use a dual
>head setup). It just would not start.
>
>So i decided disable compiz for the moment, and use xinerama.  (With
>the drivers in sid).

If you have two monitors hooked up to a sigle nVidia card then I think
there's a possibility to use an nVidia-specific solution instead of
Xinerama (it's called TwinView I think).  Maybe you have more luck
combining that with compiz...
http://therning.org/magnus

I have 2 video cards.

* geforce 4400 pci