Re: Xen, cannot create partition from and for domU

On Monday 29 January 2007 10:08, Predrag Gavrilovic wrote:
> I am not  sure how did you manage to get that far with installation of
>  domU

I just installed a Debian domU just the way I would Install a Windows XP.
Fully using the embeded kernel and software, not using anything else
(especially no Xen-aware domU kernel).

>  (maybe SUSE domU is installed that way - booting installation CD
> in unprivileged domain), but you shouldn't do that. There is much more
>  easier way to install domU in Debian

We are OK about that. But as far I as read the documentations, there are two
ways installing Debian as domU:
- using "paravirtualization" (modified domU kernel). I quite agree it's easy.
But I dont want this.
- using "full virtualization" (hvm, qemu-dm,...). That's what I want.

Plus, I want the domU not to use a file as hard drive, but a dedicated
partition. That is where it breaks. I made some experimentation with Debian
netinstall:
- choosing ext3 at the partition stage is killing. Using ext2 is better
(formattiing come up till 100%) but the installation fails when copying the
core packages onto the drive.

I tried with a FEdora Core 3 DVD. All went OK. Partitionning to ext3 was
problem-less, and the resulting system booted correctly. I only have problem
with the KBoard layout, but nothing really hard.

I would then conclude the Debian netinst image I used was sucking...

>  - use xen-tools package. It will

As far I as read (too), xen-tools are not what I want.
For example: http://www.howtoforge.com/xen_tools_xen_shell_argo_p3
No mention of full virtualization.