Re: stable 3.1 (sarge) or testing 4.0 (etch) for a new user?

On Sun January 28 2007 19:44, Oliver Twist wrote:
> I am a soon-to-be new user of Debian.  I have been using other
> (particularly live) distros for a while to learn linux, but I very much
> want to move to Debian.
>
> In any case, with a new major release (etch - 4.0) coming out soon, I am
> wondering which release to use right now...  the testing release of 4.0 or
> the stable release of 3.1 ?
>
> A few concerns:
>
> 1)  How long will security updates be maintained for 3.1 once 4.0 becomes
> "stable"?

Around 1 year, woody was supported for that long after sarge was released.

> 2)  If I do choose 3.1 for now, will I soon find it necessary to move to
> 4.0?

Once the security support has stopped I would upgrade.

> 3)  Any particular reason why it may not be good to pick 4.0 at this point?

Not really (in my view). I'm running etch now and I couldn't be happier. It is
still testing so it's possible stuff could happen but etch has been downright
stable for some time now although there are still rc bugs being worked out.

> not looking to start a "which is better" argument, just looking for some
> input about making a choice given the current release timeline.

They are both good so it hard to say which is best in any case.. :) I use etch
mostly for OOo that isn't available in sarge amd64 but works well in etch.