Re: Handing over boot sequence from one drive to another

MeneM wrote:
Dear List,

Could anyone tell me how to copy my current debian installation to a different external iomega jazz drive, and be able to boot from it in case of emergency?

I like rsync for this task.  There are also many specialized backup tools in Debian.

I'm figuring; reading some articles after some merry googling, that I need to copy /boot /etc /usr/sbin /usr/bin /sbin /dev and a bit of /usr to it

Why not mirror the whole drive?

 and then make it bootable with fdisk right?

No, you use lilo or grub.

Does this mean it also takes with it all the program's / servers I've currently installed? Like mysql and bacula?

This is a non-trivial issue. Databases need guaranteed integrity and use specialized backup software with journaling filesystems.

A restore would then be insanely easy if it ever came to that.

That would depend on what data you need to restore, and when (or if) it was backed up.

You see I'm trying to go down this route, but I cannot get the jaz drive to boot. There's no BIOS option for it. So I have to boot off CD or something and then hand the boot process over to the jaz drive. but _how_?

You can select it as root partition, from the lilo or grub command line, or by configuring lilo or grub on a BIOS bootable drive to select the Jaz drive as the root drive. See the appropriate lilo or grub docs.

Hoping someone can help me on a. more easily preparing a hard drive with files needed for booting, including all the programs currently installed and b. handing over the boot sequence from the cd to a SCSI attached drive.

Thanks in advance even if you are only reading this ;-)

Mark

Incidently, I'm suprised anyone is still using a Jaz drive. Are not USB flash drives cheaper per byte? They might also boot in your computer.

If on the other hand you are using old hardware because its the right geek thing to do, then just ignore this comment.