Re: Etch on X86-64

On Sun January 28 2007 15:58, Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> my desktop computer recently bit the dust and I'm thinking of getting a
> Core 2 duo system.  What is the status of Debian on the X86-64 platform?
> Is it usable?  I'd love to hear from people using this particular port and
> their experiences.  I've heard various things here and there e.g. Linux
> doesn't use both CPUs on the Core 2 duo.  Is this a load of nonsense?

I've been using the amd64 version since the release of sarge. Sarge worked
very well for me although I understand there is some new hardware that needs
etch. The differences between amd64 and i386 are few and far between at this
point, they were a bit more noticable when sarge was released. I think
(though my facts are few) that multimedia is still a little behind i386 but
leveling out now. It's vey usable, I've been using it 1 1/2 years now.

I only have a single cpu myself but from what I have read dual the core/cpu is
well supported. In sarge you need to be sure you have an appropriate kernel
installed but in etch it is always supported (if available).

$0.02 :)