Re: Raid trouble

Thank you for this reply!

I'm still learning here, and from what I understand I need to do

mdadm --assemble --scan

to get the /dev/md[x] to appear in my unstable installation (see my setup in the first post), and then I can safely

mount /dev/md2 /mnt/raid
cp -a /mnt/raid/anything .
umount /mnt/raid

But do I have to disassemble raid somehow before I reboot into my etch system? I mean do I have to kinda undo the mdadm command above before I reboot?

Yours gratefully,

landhaj

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 02:26:01AM -0800, Land Haj wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I decided to try etch out and use raid-1. All went fine until I mounted one of the raid disks from another debian installation on the same computer, to copy a library. My set up looks like this:
>
> sda ---> / in a sid installation
> sdb ---> /home in the sid installation
> sdc ---> first disk in the raid cluster where the etch installation is
> sdd ---> second disk in the raid cluster where the etch installation is
>
> When on the sid installation, I did this:
>
> mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt/raid
> cp -a /mnt/raid/me/photolibrary /home/anotherme/
> umount /mnt/raid
>
> When I logged back into my etch+raid installation, I had massive fs errors and had to do fsck manually. Now my question is: did I cause this simply by mounting one of the raid partitions, or did I encounter a bug in etch?
>
> If I casued it on my own, what is the proper way to copy information from a raid partition when on another installation?

You can't just mount a raid partition and have it work. You have to
start the raid first (You can force it to start in degraded mode of you
only have one disk of the pair) and then you can mount the /dev/md?
wherever you like. What you did was really Not Good (TM) for you RAID
partition.

Regards,

-Roberto

--