Re: Modem connection dropping Debian Etch

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 12:55:54AM -0500, John Kerr Anderson wrote:
> >John Kerr Anderson wrote:
> >Hello everyone,
> >
> >I have a very annoying problem. I am trying to download some new
> >programs via aptitude and notice that my modem connection keeps >dropping
> >out after 5 - 10 minutes. The connection keeps dropping esp. if I try
> >to check a web-page out while it is downloading in aptitude.
>

> <snip>
>
> What exactly do you see in syslog? SIGHUP?
>
> OK this is some of the output from the syslog.  I have phoned my ISP on
> several occaisions and they are convinced there is some sort of software
> setting causing the modem to break the connection.  They are telling me
> that the connection is being shut off on my end, as if I told the modem
> to disconnect.  I tried using the windoze computer and it connects
> happily, but the two Debian Etch computers refuse to stay on for more
> than a couple minutes if I am lucky....
>
> I have tried different modem strings, disconnecting phones, since at
> first I thought it was a problem with the line.  Again, any help would
> be useful!
>
> Jan 27 17:17:30 babykerr pppd[14332]: No response to 4 echo-requests
> Jan 27 17:17:30 babykerr pppd[14332]: Serial link appears to be
> disconnected.
> Jan 27 17:17:30 babykerr pppd[14332]: Connect time 3.5 minutes.
> Jan 27 17:17:33 babykerr pppd[14332]: Modem hangup
> Jan 27 17:17:33 babykerr pppd[14332]: Connection terminated.
> Jan 27 17:17:33 babykerr pppd[14332]: Exit.

Here's what I see:

	Connection is established as it should.

	pppd sends out echo-requests to verify that the link is up.

	At some point, after 4 tries, it gets no response so it assumes
	the link is down and hangs up the modem.

Check the pppd man page.  You can tell it a few things about this:

	how long to wait between attempts if no reply is received

	How many tries to make before it drops the link.

My guess is the same as what I have (and can hear on the line during
normal conversation).  You have intermittant noise or breaks on the
line.  Its not enough for your modem itself to lose the connection, but
it can happen at the same time as an echo request goes out.

Try increasing the fault-tolerance of pppd (by adding the appropriate
options from the pppd man page to the applicable /etc/ppp/peers file.

You should be able to tweak pppd to accomodate this.  Good luck.

Doug.