Re: Java and Debian

Hal Vaughan wrote:
On Saturday 27 January 2007 12:01, Marc Shapiro wrote:

Hal Vaughan wrote:

On Saturday 27 January 2007 10:58, Danesh Daroui wrote:

Hi all,

I have tried to install JDK5 on debian and it installed without
problem by running:

apt-get install sun-java5-jdk

which is version 1.5.0_08

but when I try to install java runtime using

apt-get install sun-java5-jre

however it is installed ok, but the version is 1.4

how can I install java runtime environment 1.5.0_08 as it is for
jdk? I need it because otherwise programs written in latest java
will not be run.

I haven't used the JDK for Java 5, but when I installed the JDK for
1.4.2, it included the Java runtime.  Doesn't the JDK for Java 5
include the JRE as well?  It'd be a bit strange if it included the
compiler and not the runtime.

Yes, the JDK does install the JRE.  Look in the directory:

    /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/

and you will see a jre subdirectory.  There is no need to install the
JRE separately.

I knew it did in the debs for 1.4.2 and know it does in the raw Sun
install for Java 1.6, but was not going to speak for the package in
between that I never used.  Thanks for the verification.

Hal

Well, I removed it completely to install a fresh copy. I ran:

apt-get install java-package

to install appropriate bin package later but it can not find "java-package". It is strange because "java-package" exists in debian's packages list at "http://snapshot.debian.net/". Can anybody help?

Thanks,

D.