Re: Java and Debian

Hal Vaughan wrote:
On Saturday 27 January 2007 10:58, Danesh Daroui wrote:
Hi all,

I have tried to install JDK5 on debian and it installed without
problem by running:

apt-get install sun-java5-jdk

which is version 1.5.0_08

but when I try to install java runtime using

apt-get install sun-java5-jre

however it is installed ok, but the version is 1.4

how can I install java runtime environment 1.5.0_08 as it is for jdk?
I need it because otherwise programs written in latest java will not
be run.

I haven't used the JDK for Java 5, but when I installed the JDK for 1.4.2, it included the Java runtime. Doesn't the JDK for Java 5 include the JRE as well? It'd be a bit strange if it included the compiler and not the runtime.
Yes, the JDK does install the JRE.  Look in the directory:

   /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/

and you will see a jre subdirectory. There is no need to install the JRE separately.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com