Re: Re: Debian, Iceweasle, Firefox!

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> I think that automatically upgrading people to Iceweasel is better than
> leaving the stagnant Firefox package since:
>
> - The security team can't support
> - Debian is not allowed to continue redistributing
> - People may not know to go looking for it

Not to mention the fact that you can't leave Firefox there as enforced
by Mozilla.  Mozilla has stated their terms, and under no circumstances
is the older package that "slipped by them" going to be allowed to stay
in Debian.

The problem with using more than the free part of Firefox is that...
it's not free.  Not only does it put restrictions on Debian to submit
patches to Mozilla, use their trademarks as-is, and go through an
approval process if wanting to make any security changes, but it passes
these same restrictions onto anyone who wants to use Debian to construct
their own OS or packages.

I'm not clear on why Firefox couldn't be put in non-free though.  (I
just figured it was for upgrades.)

Angelo