Re: [OT] Nvidia 9746 driver

On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 10:02 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The upward pressure continues:
>
> Nvidia's 9746 driver released December 21, 2006 no longer supports my
> MX440 + MX4000 cards
>
> You are being driven to get boards with PCI Express slots and buy faster
> videocards. I found the FX5200 is still supported, which is fanless and
> PCI, but costs $60.- That's more than double the MX4000.

Any GeForce 4 or derived cards from that chipset has been deprecated by
nVidia a while ago.

The only reason you see these cards around still is "back stock". Many
card manufacturers have had to dump these chipsets. Evidence is the
price.

I personally have been hit by this 3 times now. I have NV11, NV15 and
NV17 chipset... Lotsa fun. FX5200's chipset is the bottom set now.

Anyway, it you are going to start complaining about this, start looking
at the OpenDesktop nVidia driver (not sure of the name, Rendition?).

Good Luck.

--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup