Re: getting broadband working on my new AMD64 box....

From: Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: getting broadband working on my new AMD64 box....
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:33:47 -0800

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 12:20:48AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear Debianists,
>
> I have now installed Etch AMD64 RC1 successfully on my new AMD64 box.
> The only problem I have is that the internet connection isn't working.
>
> My old box is an AMD Duron 1200 Mhz 32 bit machine which is running Etch
> i386.  The internet connection works fine on it.
>
> I use NTL broadband cable.

what is NTL? is that a provider?

Yes it is.

> I have used the old box to help me get information about my internet
> connection.
>
> If you look in the network tools window you get information for eth0
>
> IP address.
>
> It is 86.22.11.90  and this is NTL.
>
> I checked with the whoami tool.
>
> I also looked in the network configuration box in the network admin
> icon.  I found that the DNS server numbers for NTL are 194.168.4.100 and
> 194.168.8.100.

[snip ifconfig output.]

Probably you  need something like

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

I will try this.  Thanks.

P. S. Sorry for replying to your personal email address and not the list.

although, if you're running gnome (as I've found out the hard way) it
can be a little confusing as its not clear what package has authority
for getting the ip address.

<< signature.asc >>