Re: Booting stops

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 07:14:47AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Kevin Mark wrote:
> >
> >On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 10:00:29PM +1100, John O'Hagan wrote:
> >>Hi list,
> >>
> >>A small annoyance: for a few months now, my etch box stops booting at a
> >>particular point, whereupon I must hit return, and it then completes. I
> >>am not entirely sure, but I think that the last change I made was to
> >>install insserv, the parallel booting service.
> >>

> ><messages>
> >>Does anyone know how I might go about diagnosing this further?
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>
> >Hi John,
> >I suspect as insserv is not-ready-for-prime-time, that this is the
> >issue. I'd check for any bug repots on the BTS at
> >bugs.debian.org/insserv and if nothing look like your bug, file one with
> >reportbug.  This should get a response from the maintiner who will now
> >better than anyone what may be causing this pause.
>
> Fascinating. First time I heard about this. What would you use it for?
Hi Hugo,
initscripts - Scripts for initializing and shutting down the system
is the original.

there are a few attempts to improve the init script:
upstart-compat-sysv - compatibility for System-V-like init
runit-services - a UNIX init scheme with service supervision (services)
insserv - Reorder boot sequence based on LSB init.d script dependencies
if memory serves me right.

The major idea for inserv IIRC is to parallelize the script. The
requiremnt is to add LSB 'comments' that state dependencies. The
comments are needed for LSB compliance anyway which Debian wants.

An Ubuntu Dev is making upstart, this is a new idea that uses 'events'
to trigger services. Someone has made packages for Debian. Its supposed
to be used for all future version of Ubuntu, if all RC bugs can be
sqashed.

Kev
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org         |