Re: shopping for an HTML editor

On 1/25/07, Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> wrote:
On Thursday 25 January 2007 01:12, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com
>
> <mailto:kamaraju%40bluebottle.com>> said:
> >  Sorry wrong wording on my part. When I said "it should look exactly
> >  as it would appear on the net", I meant the editor to have a WYSIWYG
> >  way of editing html pages.
> >
> >  HTML editing should be as easy as writing a texmacs or a word
> >  document. It should not any complicated than that! There is no
> >  misguidance there. nvu was doing the job just fine. I was merely
> >  looking for a replacement for nvu.
>
> If you like nvu, then why not just use the tarball from nvu.com.  I know
> it says that it is for Sid (and also says that it was built on Linspire)
> but I just DL'd it to my Etch box and it seems to be working after just
> untarring it.  What have you got to lose but the time it takes to DL?

upgrades, bug fixes etc., wont be as smooth as it would be if the package is
in Debian. Tracking a software outside Debian is always a pain in the neck
IMHO.

raju

Nvu has not had any significant upgrades since 1.0 and the version that was in
Debian didn't have many bug-fixes either (my packages says version 1.0final-1).

A new HTML editor using Gecko 1.9 is being worked on (Nvu uses 1.7 I think),
but it is not even in beta yet and it looks like it will have a
different name. So
the Debian package has minimal advantages.

Cheers,
Kelly