Re: Why there is no space left on root partition?

John Hasler wrote:
Sven Arvidsson writes:
I'm not a Windows user myself, but I hear of many Windows users who
actually know that they shouldn't run as admin but are forced to do so
because a lot of applications, installers and games simply will not run
on an unprivileged account.

Nothing forces them to run those applications.  If they really cared about
security they would refuse to buy such programs and the publishers would
get the message.

Yes, there's certainly a lot of bad programming about, but that's not
because it has to work on Windows. It's just stupidity. It would be
perfectly possible to configure a Linux application to drop its log
files into /bin.

But how do you tell the MD that he can't use his favourite accounting
package? None of this stuff says on the box that it needs admin
permissions, and of course it doesn't really. It's just next to
impossible to find out where it does need write permissions and there
isn't really the time to do it the hard way.

As for games...

Having said that, it's clearly not a bright idea to put a log file of
potentially unlimited size in /root. Hasn't anyone heard of /var/log? And it's pretty obvious why a separate partition is useful there, even
for a standalone workstation.