Re: Why there is no space left on root partition?

Jakub Narojczyk wrote:
Ron Johnson napisa³(a):

On 01/18/07 17:43, Greg Folkert wrote:

But Microsoft lets me run *anything* as Administrator!!!!
This is becouse Windows is stupid. running programs as a root gives them ability to damage your system.
Why can't I do the same thing in Stupid Old Linux?????
Just becouse linux is different than windows it doesn't mean that it is stupid. It is generally a good idea to folow the guidelies of a given system. If some one tells You not to run programs as root then don't. Belive me, the more time You spend learning linux the more convinced You'll be that MS Win is a crapy system. BTW ever wandered why there is so much viruses on windows?? No, not becouse windows is popular... it's becouse that system lets You run every program as administator, thus lets the program break the system ;)

Windows Me was the last domestic MS OS, seven years ago. All since then,
and NT before that, have used fine-grained ACLs and different types of
user. The use of unprivileged accounts is not enforced, but it is only
in the last few years that Linux installations have demanded that
unprivileged users be created. There are still relatively few Linux
programs that actually refuse to run as root.

You can be quite certain that most domestic Windows users will run as
admins, even though they're virtually all using versions which have
unprivileged users. They do it because nobody tells them otherwise, not
because Windows can't do otherwise.

Please leave the FUD to that nice Mr Ballmer. Windows gets more *nix-
like with each version, underneath the eye candy, though of course
that's not quite how MS puts it.