Re: Xorg will not start no matter what I do

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 11:12:55PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
> I recently installed Etch RC1 in a P3 box.  The smoke test succeeded up
> to the point where Xorg was to be loaded -- it would not load.  I ran
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg several times.  Each the time process was
> able to configure automatically the keyboard, mouse, video card and
> monitor settings without my intervention.
>
> 	I checked the log file and xorg.conf but could find nothing amiss.
> 	Can anyone suggest what to do now?
>
> Here is the xorg installation log file.
[snip]
> (II) LoadModule: "kbd"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module kbd
> (II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
> (EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (module does not exist, 0)
> (II) LoadModule: "mouse"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module mouse
> (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
> (EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module does not exist, 0)

> (EE) No devices detected.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

What packages do you have installed related to xorg.  You will need at
least xserver-xorg-input-kbd and xserver-xorg-input-mouse,

xserver-xorg depends on some or all of xserver-xorg-input-*

These are needed to provide the modules that your log shows do not
exist.

Good luck.

Doug.