Re: Xorg will not start no matter what I do

On 1/19/07, Ken Heard <ken@heard.name> wrote:
I recently installed Etch RC1 in a P3 box.  The smoke test succeeded up
to the point where Xorg was to be loaded -- it would not load.  I ran
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg several times.  Each the time process was
able to configure automatically the keyboard, mouse, video card and
monitor settings without my intervention.

        I checked the log file and xorg.conf but could find nothing amiss.  Can
anyone suggest what to do now?

Here is the xorg installation log file.
(EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module mouse
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) APM: driver for the Alliance chipsets: AP6422, AT24, AT3D
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Well, you can see there are three errors right there.  If you look in
the config file, you see...

Here is the xorg.conf file:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
EndSection

Notice the "kdb" and "mouse" drivers.  On my system, the config file
has "keyboard" instead of "kbd", and I don't know about "mouse", but I
use "evdev" (lets you use more buttons, etc).  Try switching to
"keyboard" and "evdev" and see if that helps.  (Should probably
comment out the "Protocol PS/2" line too.)