Re: chrony won't access hwclock but prevents hwclock.sh from doing so either

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 11:59:46AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
Hello,

I'm running Etch amd64 on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe MB with an AMD Athlon
3800+.

Uname -a
Linux titan 2.6.18-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4 17:04:37 CET 2006 x86_64
GNU/Linux

a.k.a. the stock debian kernel.

Running chrony version 1.21z05 a.k.a. the current Etch chrony version.

I access the internet via intermittant dial-up ppp.

It seems that chrony won't or can't access the hardware clock.
Unfortunaly, it prevents hwclock from doing so either. "Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method."
So over time, my hwclock is drifting away from reality.

If I remove the chrony package, then hwclock works as it should.

Does anyone know a remidy to this?  Does the npt package work on
intermittant connections?

You always had this problem with chrony?
Or this is a new problem?
I have run it for years (now Sid 1.21z-4) and never had a problem.
Perhaps ask the mailinglist:
http://chrony.sunsite.dk/lists.php

Hugo

Hi Hugo,

This is a new box.  It works fine on my 486.  I figured that if it won't
touch the rtc but prevents hwclock from doing so that its a bug, so I
filed one. I received a reply back from the maintainer to comment out the rtcfile directive, that this should keep it from trying to touch the
rtc.

Which it seems to.

Doug, I recall(?) that solution from the list. I subscribe to it. But you only rarely need the list because most of the time chrony works as advertized.

Hugo